Long Beach, CA
When deciding whether to become an Airbnb host, it is important for you to understand the laws in your city. As a platform and marketplace we do not provide legal advice, but we want to give you some useful links that may help you better understand the laws and regulations in Long Beach. This list is not exhaustive, but it should give you a good start in understanding your local laws.
Visit the Long Beach Short-term rentals (STR) Program website for more information about eligibility, the registration process, and other requirements.
Long Beach requires registration to operate a short-term rental in the city. A "short-term rental" is defined as a guest stay of 30 nights or less. The fee to submit an initial application and subsequent annual renewal applications is $250. Hosts must provide a local contact person that is available 24/7 to respond within 1 hour to complaints. All listing advertisements must list a City-issued STR registration number.
Hosts are responsible for completing the registration process. There are two kinds of Short-Term Rental Registrations. Hosts can hold one registration for each type.
To register, all permit types must:
- Submit application and $250 fee
- Tenants must get signed/notarized property owner consent form
- Post info for guests (max occupancy,parking capacity, trash/recycling, local contact, emergency contact)
- Include STR registration number on all advertisements
- Maintain fire & safety equipment and $1m general liability insurance
- Collect and remit TOT, unless platform collects on behalf of operator
- Authorize platforms to provide the City the listing and other information to demonstrate compliance
- No ADUs or JADUs, deed-restricted affordable units, SRO, or units in prohibited buildings list
- 1 PR + 1 non-PR per host
- Limits on non-PR in multifamily buildings with 11+ units
- Must be a dwelling unit with no pending/active violations or registration revocations
A Primary Residence STR is a person’s permanent residence or usual place of return for a minimum of 275 days per year. A Primary Residence can be rented as an unhosted rental for a max of 90 days per year. There are no limits on hosted Primary Residence rentals. You can register here.
A Non-Primary Residence STR is any residential property in Long Beach, regardless of whether it is the owner’s primary residence. Non-Primary Residence rentals can be unhosted or hosted for an unlimited number of days. There are only 800 of these registrations available citywide. Submit an Application of Interest here.
Transient occupancy taxes
Long Beach assesses a 13% transient occupancy tax on hotels, motels, and other short-term rentals. A "short-term rental" is defined as a guest stay of 30 nights or less. Guests who book Airbnb listings that are located in Long Beach will pay this tax as part of their reservation. For detailed information, please visit the City’s Finance Department website.
It's also important to understand and abide by other contracts or rules that bind you, such as leases, condo board or co-op rules, HOA rules, or rules established by tenant organizations. Please read your lease agreement and check with your landlord if applicable.
Our commitment to your community
We are committed to working with local officials to help them understand how Airbnb benefits our community. Where needed, we will continue to advocate for changes that will allow regular people to rent out their own homes.
- Organizzatur tal-EsperjenziTmexxija ta' tours ġewwa Hong KongLiġijiet, regoli u liċenzji—hawn għandek xi ftit għajnuna utli biex tgħinek tibda ssir taf x'jaf tkun teħtieġ biex tkun Organizzatur ta' Esp…
- Organizzatur tal-EsperjenziEsperjenzi li jinvolvu l-ikel ġewwa Hong KongGħalkemm li torganizza l-Esperjenzi ta' Airbnb hija xi ħaġa divertenti, hemm xi regoli u obbligi li għandek timxi magħhom għal attivitajiet …
- Organizzatur tal-EsperjenziEsperjenzi li jinkludu attivitajiet sportivi ġewwa Hong KongGħalkemm li torganizza l-Esperjenzi ta' Airbnb hija xi ħaġa divertenti, hemm xi regoli u obbligi li għandek timxi magħhom għal attivitajiet …